1. The Sixth Bhutan-India Development Cooperation Talks was held on 10th November 2017 in New Delhi, India. The Bhutanese delegation was led by Foreign Secretary, Mr. Sonam Tshong, and the Indian delegation was led by Mr. Vijay Gokhale, Secretary (Economic Relations), Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India (GoI).
2. The Bhutan-India Development Cooperation Talks is the overarching mechanism for discussing and reviewing India’s bilateral development cooperation assistance to Bhutan.
3. With Bhutan’s 11th Five Year Plan (2013 – 2018) entering its final year, the two sides reviewed the progress of the projects under the components of the Project Tied Assistance (PTA) and Small Development Projects (SDP) of GoI’s assistance during this Plan. India had committed Rs. 45 billion for the 11th FYP of which Rs. 28000 million was provided as PTA, Rs. 8500 million for SDPs and Rs. 8500 million as Programme Grant. GoI had also provided Rs. 5000 million for the Economic Stimulus Plan. A total of 83 PTA Projects and 595 SDPs are being implemented during the current Plan on which both sides expressed satisfaction with the progress in the implementation of all these projects.
4. The Bhutanese side expressed appreciation to the Government of India for its support to Bhutan for the 11th FYP. The Bhutanese side also thanked the Indian side for the timely and consistent disbursement of funds for the ongoing projects. The Indian side assured GoI’s continued support for all the ongoing projects including the release of the remaining committed funds before the end of the 11th FYP period.
5. The Bhutanese side also shared with the Indian side on the broad objectives and priorities of the 12th FYP (2018-2023) and sought the continued support and assistance of GoI for the success of the 12th FYP. The Indian side expressed its commitment to support Bhutan’s 12th FYP and agreed to hold further discussions for its finalization.
6. The two sides agreed to hold the next Development Cooperation Talks in Thimphu at a mutually convenient date.
7. The Sixth Annual Bhutan-India Development Cooperation Talks were held successfully in a friendly atmosphere in keeping with the age-old ties of friendship between the two countries.
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
10th November 2017