Bhutanese visas and entry permits are only issued by the Department of Immigration, Ministry of Home and Cultural Affairs in Bhutan once a duly filled visa application form is submitted to the Department for verification and issuance of visa.
Click here for Visa application form.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs shall verify and recommend visa application for only members of the international organizations, government delegations and foreign donors (Visa clearance for foreign donors may also be processed by the Ministry of Finance.).
Verification and recommendation of visas for other foreigners shall be carried out by other relevant agencies.
- Only individuals holding diplomatic passports may apply for a diplomatic visa while visiting Bhutan for official purposes and postings/assignments.
- Click here for requirements to apply for a Diplomatic Visa.
- Individuals coming to Bhutan for official purposes may apply for an official visa.
- Click here for requirements to apply for an official visa.
- For other tourist visitors, excluding nationals of India, Bangladesh and Maldives, visas are processed through an online system by licensed Bhutanese tour operator. You can find the list of tour operators at the website of the Tourism Council of Bhutan (TCB): https://www.tourism.gov.bt/tour-operators
- Click here for requirements to apply for a tourist visa.
- It may be issued to holders of diplomatic passports, official passport, UN passport, government delegations as recommended by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and those covered by the Memorandum of Understanding signed by the Royal Government of Bhutan.
Visa on Arrival
- Nationals of Bangladesh and Maldives do not require visa in order to enter Bhutan and can get Visa on Arrival stamped on their passports upon arrival.
- Nationals of Thailand and Switzerland holding Official and Diplomatic passports shall be issued Visa on Arrival at the point of entry by immigration authorities. However, nationals of Thailand and Swiss carrying ordinary passports need to process Bhutanese visa in advance.
- Click here for requirements to apply for Visa on Arrival.
- An employment visa allows a foreign national to work in Bhutan.
- Individuals with an employment visa shall be allowed to stay and work in the Kingdom for a maximum period of one year.
- Click here for requirements to apply for an employment visa.
- Individuals coming to study in Bhutan may apply for a student visa.
- A person seeking permission to enter the Kingdom as a student shall be admitted for an approved period depending on the length of his course of study.
- Click here for requirements to apply for a student visa.
- A business visa will enable one to do business in Bhutan and may be issued with documentary evidences of having received approval from the government for establishment of business within the kingdom.
- Click here for requirements to apply for a business visa.
- A dependent visa may be issued to the dependents of a individual coming to Bhutan while holding a work permit.
- Click here for requirements to apply for a dependent visa.
Personal guest visa
- Personal guest visa may be issued to individuals coming to Bhutan on the invitation of a Bhutanese citizen and foreign professional (holding Work Permit) or Diplomat residing in the country.
- A personal guest shall be permitted to stay in the Kingdom for actual duration of stay or thirty days whichever is less.
- Personal guest visa shall be limited to a maximum of two guests in a year.
- Click here for requirements to apply for a personal guest visa.
- Click here to apply for Personal Guest Application form for Bhutanese.
- Click here to apply for Personal Guest Application form for Foreigners.
- Only individuals of Indian nationals shall be issued an entry permit for coming to Bhutan.
- Click here for Application form for Entry Permit
- An employer wishing to employ foreign worker in the Kingdom shall seek approval for recruitment from the Department of Labour.
- Issuance of work permit may be subject to clearance from relevant agencies.
- Work permit shall be issued to foreigners (18 years and above) with entry permits and visa, whose purpose of visit to the country is reflected as work or employment.
- Click here for requirements to apply for a work permit.
- Click here for Application form for Work Permit
- A Student Permit shall be issued to a foreigner enrolled as student in an academic institution, school and college including shedra and drupdey for regular academic course.
- Student permit shall not be renewed beyond the length of one’s course of study.
- Click here for requirements to apply for a student permit.
- Click here for Application form for Student Permit
- A route permit shall be issued to foreigners travelling to different parts of the Kingdom for purposes such as work or visit.
- A route permit shall be processed only upon arrival in the country and issued to a valid immigration permit holder to facilitate travel to restricted areas for duration not exceeding thirty days at a time.
- Click here for requirements to apply for a route permit.
- Click here for Application form for Route Permit
- A Dependent permit shall be issued to the spouse and children of an official of international organization, overseas employee, hydropower projects, Dantak, IMTRAT and Professional Work Permit holders.
- Click here for requirements to apply for a dependent permit.
- Click here for Application form for Dependent Permit
- Trader permit shall be issued to Indian nationals particularly in the southern border towns.
- Trader permit shall be renewed and transferred based on the recommendation of the Ministry of Economic Affairs.
For further information on Visa and Permit to enter Bhutan, visit the website of Department of Immigration, Ministry of home and Cultural Affairs. (https://www.doi.gov.bt/?lang=en)